By Salam Diri & Estefania Valencia from SannaOhana Yoga & Wellness
May is mental health awareness month, and given the current circumstances, now more than ever, it is very important to learn how to boost our mental health as well as our family’s, neighbor’s and communities’. The Cannabis plant shows us a very compelling lifestyle for achieving optimal mental health and balance. Here is why!
Cannabis’ ability to uplift even the crankiest Debbie Downer is not a modern discovery. The human knowledge of the powerful effects of this plant go back to the ancient times, even ancient Egyptian women would take it during their cycle to pass the “ill moods” as referenced in the Egyptian Pharmacopoeia. If you are well acquainted with the plant you know the kind of impact it can have on your mood with just a few puffs or a few drops under the tongue. The reason the cannabis can make us feel so calm and relaxed so quickly is because it has the ability to restore homeostasis in the body through the stimulation of a very important counterbalancing system known as the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS is a system of endocannabinoids, enzymes and receptors located throughout your entire body including the central nervous system, spinal cord and brain. As a result, cannabis can have a huge impact in how you feel and think, how your body and mind processes trauma and stress, and how well you can recover from stress and return to a healthy balance a.k.a homeostasis.
So what does a cannabis lifestyle entail? A cannabis lifestyle is a conscious pursuit for maintaining balance. Once you understand how the plant affects your body, mind and the world around you, then you can use the plant with the intention of achieving health and wellness.
The cannabis plant encompasses both the hemp plant (cannabis sativa), and the weed plant (cannabis indica). These plants are amazing sources of phytocannabinoids that stimulate and support your endocannabinoid system and they can be consumed and utilized in many different healthy and sustainable ways. Here is a list of different ways you can take your cannabis use to the next level in order to support your mental health.
1) Practice self-care and make yourself a priority.
2) Eat a healthy diet. Research has shown that what you eat—and don’t eat—affects the way you think and feel.
3) Cook with Cannabis. Incorporate Hemp butter, Hemp protein and Hemp seeds in your diet it is great source of Omega 3s for brain health. Studies indicate that people who consume omega-3s regularly are less likely to be depressed.
4) Consume organic fresh whole foods which also contain phytocannabinoids, terpenes and flavonoids which will nourish your brain and endocannabinoid system.
5) Exercise. Moving your body nourishes your endocannabinoid system and can help decrease depression and anxiety and improve mood. Try our Free Restorative CBD yoga every Tuesday at 7PM and Friday at 4:20PM on IG and Facebook live with @sannacbdyoga.
6) Indulge in your cannabis lifestyle habits and turn them into self care rituals: Wake and bake, High Noon, 4:20, After Work, Before Sleep, Mid sleep to help you go back to sleep, Wake up High.
7) Sleep Well. During your sleep is when your body recovers, repairs and regenerates the most. Incorporate cannabis / CBD before you go to bed so that you can sleep deeper and longer. Especially when you are very stressed, sick, or really need the sleep.
8) Opt for Cannabis as medicine. The side effects of antidepressants, anti-anxiety, antipsychotic, mood stabilizing, and stimulant medications are sometimes worse than the cause of ailment in the first place. Cannabis helps you forget trauma and allows you to have different perceptions. It also helps you acknowledge more, which helps you perceive more, which in turn, helps you realize more.
9) Disconnect from electronics and social media. Consider adding an electronics-free time period to your day. Research has shown that electromagnetic radiation emitted from our electronic devices have direct effects on our natural resonance with the planet earth. Long term exposure to electromagnetic frequencies continues to point to a laundry list of diseases and mental side effects. Take the time to balance and disconnect to reconnect your mind, body and energy with your Mother earth.
10) Experiment and get creative. Cannabis helps us get in touch with our creative side. Dust off your paint brushes and color pencils or whatever it is that allows you to channel your inner Bob Ross, and start a cool art project. Experiment with new hobbies and home projects which will in turn stimulate your brain and make it healthier.
11) Engage in meditation, mindfulness and breathing exercises. Relaxation exercises can improve your state of mind and outlook on life. Meditating actually changes your brain by making new neural connections and with it, the way your body responds to stress. Which works wonders on depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
12) Avoid substance abuse. Keep alcohol use to a minimum because it is a depressant, and avoid other harmful drugs. Harmful drugs create inflammation in the body and brain that can lead to mental and physical disorders. Cannabis and CBD are anti-inflammatory and can help reduce stress and rebalance and improve mental and physical disorders.
13) Help Planet Earth heal. When our home is chaotic and out of balance, it’s hard for us to be balanced. If our planet is sick, toxic, and unstable the same goes for our planet. A cannabis lifestyle is a step toward more sustainable way of life. Healing our planet starts with healing yourself and others. Remember we are all one and we are all connected.
14) Ask for help. Don’t just ask your plug for medicine. Find people that can help educate you on using cannabinoid medicine for mental health. You are not alone and there are always multiple healthy and positive options for you. Better and greener days will come!